Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Gingerbread and Pomegranites, not related


I love the idea of making a gingerbread house fit for Hansel and Gretel, but am completely dissatisfied with the little kits that you can buy at the store. Does anyone have a good recipe for gingerbread that is suitable for four walls and a roof? If not, little men dressed in white icing buttons will have to do. I know I can get one online, but I'd like to know if any of you have any tried and true experiences.

Also, the pomegranate is as beautiful as it is delicious. I love the hard crack of the rind and each and every ruby-red jewel hidden inside, each in it's own little pocket. It's like a heart, or a honeycomb, or a treasure chest. I almost love the experience of eating a pomegranate more than the taste itself. So I am looking for a recipe in which the pom takes center stage, rather than as a garnish, such as in a salad or a syrup. As a side note, I fell in love with the fruit as Israel's symbol when I went a few years ago and am completely enchanted with its color and form, as well as its story. Let me know if you have anything to share.

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

hi love! i have a recipe that comes to mind! it's one i found on a swedish website...elle mat & vin (elle food & wine). anyway, it's called 'warm bulgur with chanterelles and pomegranate' and it's so good! i translated the recipe into english for you and the equivalents into an american-friendly version...i'll email it to you...