Friday, November 21, 2008

Goodbye for now, fair Oceanside


We are moving inland to the Hornkohl mansion. This will be quite an experience, and one I look forward to, but there will certainly be a sense of loss as we leave the Oceanside that I love. Our goal is to live away for a year at the most, in order that we can save and afford to buy something. Soon, I would like to put up a list of the things I am looking forward to, there are plenty of those too. As for the following list, it is the catharsis that allows me to mourn the loss of these things.

I will miss:
The ocean
The ocean culture
The galleries and shops and feeling of being by the water
The ocean breezes and weather and salty air
The stupid marines
Saying I live in San Diego County
The kids on the street
The close neighbors
Running on Mesa and people who say hello when I pass
Living close to the Turveys and the Sheltons
Living close to church
The cats in the neighborhood, them pooping in our back yard, driving Mowgli nuts
Our house
Our yard
My mural
Being alone, being autonomous
Following my own rules, being messy when I want to be
Having people over for dinner
Having people I know stop by or honk when they pass
Being near all the great parks
The dog park
Roller-skating with Mary Jo
Carlsbad, Encinitas, Leucadia
Lou's Records
I will miss PCH!!!!
DRIVING PAST ALL THE LAGOONS
DRIVING DOWN TO THE CITY
LIBERTY STATION
THE COAL GALLERY
THE WATERCOLOR SOCIETY
THE SAN DIEGO LIFESTYLE
Seeing all the cyclists and runners at the beach
The cute bike shops and the dream of getting a beach cruiser
Bumping into the occasional celebrity (Tony Hawk or Shawn White)
Fighting when and how we want
Not having to use the ac or heater because the weather's flawless
Our little garden
City recycling
All the events at the beach
Being close to Tri-City and the families that love us
Jeffrey and Kathryn and Crystal, Skyler and Kendal and Quincy
Being able to run any time of day and being comfortable
Summer camp
Our balcony
Our back yard
Our computer nook and upstairs laundry
Did I already say the perfect weather, the beach and Coast Highway?

2 comments:

Jessie Jönzén said...

you summed up the first 24 years of my life and all that i miss every single day since i left it all behind. today, now, more than ever, i want to come HOME :(

the best of luck. keep the happy times and ocean waves in your heart, where they are safest.

love you.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck Lindsey. Just keep your goal in mind. We miss you, too. Aunt Laurel