Friday, September 3, 2010

Fantastical Me

New original, now in the shop.

The meeting took place at the spot where they agreed, at the edge of the forest under the lantern of a full moon. Sensing the wise old traveler's sorrow, the fairy reached a hand out to comfort him as he began telling his story...

It feels so strange to be painting like this. I have never really lived in the fantasy world. When I was young I was never scared of monsters, instead I feared robbers and fires. I could never read fantasy novels and skipped out on many of those movies too (except Never Ending Story...loved it).

I also prefer to paint things that are part of the real world. I love capturing, not really recreating. I think that has to do with the fact that I feel I could never recreate better than it's already been done, I'd just like my own record of it.

I was really offended once when another art student said that I was a recorder, not an inventor. But I've become more comfortable with it recently. I'm still trying to figure out who I am as an artist, but I wonder if I ever really will unless I become one full time. I don't know...

2 comments:

A Lady's Life said...

Ilove it!!!:)

Elise / Pennyweight said...

I've got to show this to Trav! He will love it... so cool, Linds!